- South Indian
MASALA DOSA RECIPE, how to make crispy dosa recipe
Preparation time -7-8 hrs
Cooking time – 30-40 minutes
Masala dosa recipe – a very crispy and delicious recipe of masala dosa made with rice, urad dal, poha and some fenugreek seeds.
Dosa is my all time favorite breakfast or even I can have it anytime in my whole day.
As I have lived in Bangalore for about 13 yrs, I am just fond of south Indian dishes like idli sambhar, medu vada, Chitrana, curd rice, pudina rice, bisi belle bhath and many other recipes of south India.
And now I am trying all these recipes by my own. And making masala dosa is one of my favorite.
Ingredients for dosa better –
- 1 cup regular rice
- ½ cup spilt black lentils or urad dal
- ¼ cup poha/flattened rice
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- salt to taste
- water as required
Ingredients for the Masala - Potato filling-
- 4-5 potatoes/aloo
- 10-12 cashewnuts/kaju (optional)
- 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1 tbsp chana dal/bengal gram
- 3 onions sliced or chopped
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 or 2 chopped green chillies/hari mirch
- 1 or 1.5 tsp chopped ginger or grated ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 3 tsp oil or ghee
how to make the recipe:
Preparing the Dosa Batter:
- Rinse the rice and urad dal separately first.
- Soak the regular rice and poha in a bowl or pan.
- In another bowl soak the urad dal-methi in enough water
- Grind the urad dal with methi to a fine and fluffy batter.
- Grind the rice and poha to a smooth batter.
- Mix both the rice and urad dal batter with salt.
- Cover and let the batter ferment for 8-9 hours
Preparing the potato filling-sabzi -
- Soak the chana dal in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Later drain the chana dal and keep aside.
- Heat oil or ghee. Fry cashew nuts and keep aside.
- Splutter the mustard seeds. add cumin seeds and drained chana dal.
- Fry the chana dal well. Now add the onions and curry leaves.
- Fry the onions till they become soft. Add the green chilies and ginger.
- Add the turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mix well.
- Now add the boiled chopped potatoes. Add the fried cashew nuts and salt
- Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring well. Add chopped coriander leaves. Stir and keep aside.
Preparing the Masala Dosa-
- Heat a flat pan or a flat non-stick pan. Smear some oil if using an iron pan or griddle. don't smear oil on a non stick pan, as then you won't be able to spread the dosa batter.
- Spread the dosa batter in a circular way on the pan. Add some oil on top
- Flip and cook the other side. Flip again.
- Spread the potato sabzi filling on one side of the dosa. I didn’t apply that because I serve it in side.
- Cover with the other half and let the dosa cook for 15-30 seconds.
- Serve masala dosa hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
- South Indian