- Side dish
- Main Course
SOUTH INDIAN POTATO MASALA, HOW TO MAKE ALOO MASALA IN SOUTH INDIAN STYLE RECIPE
Preparation time -25 minutes
Cooking time -15 minutes
Cuisine –South Indian
A step by step recipe of aloo masala in south Indian style –a very simple yet delicious recipe of aloo masala used to have with dosa or puri. Here I have used very simple ingredients such as potatoes, onion, green chili, curry leaves and roasted split bengal gram.
This masala you can use in so many ways with your other dishes like dosa, puri or as a side dish with rice.
I used to call it as south Indian masala dosa, because here I have used the tempering which is basically south Indian style. And in Bangalore I had the dosa in so many restaurants and there I found this recipe of masala in masala dosa.
So my mom also started to make it in the same way. And now I go to Bangalore, I call her and asked to make dosa for me on my arrival.
This is just a simple recipe of potato but yet it is very tasty to have.
You can also check my recipe of aloo paliya.
Ingredients for south Indian aloo masala –
- Potatoes -6-7
- Onion -2
- Green chili -2
- Curry leaves -6-7
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Lemon juice -1 tbsp
- Roasted split bengal gram/futana – 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder -1 tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make this recipe? –
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker with salt and water.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them.
- Now heat oil in a pan.
- Temper it with black mustard seeds.
- Now add the split bengal gram and stir it for 2-3 seconds.
- Now add diced onions in it.
- After adding onions add the curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped chilies in it .
- Stir and sauté for about 5-6 minutes or until the onions are brown.
- Now add turmeric powder and salt to it.
- Mix well and cook for a second or two.
- Now add the mashed potato and mix well.
- Now add the lemon juice in it and mix well.
- Switch off the flam and use the potato masala with your dosa or puri.
Step by step recipe with pictures-
Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker with salt and water.
Open the led and let them to be cool.
Peel the potatoes
Mash the potatoes with a spoon.
Now heat oil in a pan.
Temper it with black mustard seeds.
Now add diced onions in it.
After adding onions add the curry leaves. I am adding curry leaves after onions because by this technique these leaves will gill give you more fragrance. If you will add after mustard, then they will be over heated which I don’t want in my potato masala.
Now add the chopped chilies in it.
Here I have forgot to add the bengal gram after the mustard seeds, so I sifted the onions apart in my pan and add the bengal gram in it.
Then roast them for 3-4 seconds in oil.
And mixed with the onions. Stir and sauté for about 5-6 minutes.
Now add turmeric powder
And salt to it.
Mix well and cook.
Cook until the onions are brown.
Now add the mashed potato.
Now add the lemon juice in it and mix well.
Switch off the flam and use the potato masala with your dosa or puri.
- Side dish
- Main Course