- Main Course
MATAR PANEER, RECIPE OF HOW TO MAKE RESTAURANT STYLE MATAR PANEER AT HOME
Preparation time -20 minutes
Cooking time -30 minutes
Main ingredients –peas and paneer (cottage cheese)
A step by step recipe of matar paneer –a curry recipe cooked with a mixture of onion, tomatoes, cashews and malai with other spices and the main ingredients such as peas and cottage cheese.
Matar paneer is a very well known recipe from Punjabi cuisine.
This recipe is just a treat to your taste buds anytime. Matar paneer is a curry in a tangy mixture of onion and tomatoes.
I have also added some cashews and malai in it to give my curry a creamy texture.
We often used to go in any restaurants or hotels for this dish but now you can make your own matar paneer by watching this simple recipe of matar paneer.
You can also see my other recipes of paneer such as paneer lababdaar, aloo paneer mirchi, palak paneer and corn palak paneer.
Ingredients to make matar paneer –
- Paneer/cottage cheese -250 grams
- Peas/matar -2 cups
- Onions -5-6 medium
- Tomatoes -6-7 medium
- Green chilies -3-4
- Garlic cloves -10-15
- Ginger -1 inch
- Cashews -8-9
- Malai -1/2 cup
- Red chili powder -2 tsp
- Coriander powder -2 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee -3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Bay leaves -2-3
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
How to make matar paneer –
- Boil the peas in saline water.
- Now make a paste of onions, green chilies, garlic and ginger with little water and keep aside.
- Now take the tomatoes, cashews and malai in a jar and grind to make a paste.
- Now heat the ghee in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds and bay leaves.
- Add the onion paste and cook until the ghee comes up.
- Now add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add all the dry spices in it and cook well.
- Now add water for curry. Just up to a thick consistency.
- Now add the peas and paneer into it.
- Cook for another 2 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti/rice.
Step by step recipe with pictures -
Take the peas in a bowl with 2 cups of water.
Add 1 tsp of salt in it.
Boil the peas until they are soft.
Strain the peas in a strainer and keep aside.
Now take the tomatoes, cashews and malai in a mixer jar.
Grind it to a smooth paste. Remove the paste from the jar and keep aside.
Now take chopped onions, garlic, ginger and green chilies in the jar.
And make a smooth paste by adding little water in it.
now heat a pan.
Now pour ghee and heat.
Temper it with cumin seeds.
Also add some bay leaves.
Now add the onion grounded masala in it.
Cook it by stirring occasionally.
Cook and mix.
Cook until the ghee leaves the pan. you can see the mixture have reduced in its quantity.
Now add the tomato grounded paste in it.
Mix well and cook.
After 2 minutes add red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder in it.
Mix well and cook.
Cook for another 3 minutes by occasional stirring.
Now add salt in it.
Mix and cook until ghee comes up.
Now take 1 cup of water in the jar and shake well so the leftover paste mixes with the water.
Now pour this water into the pan. you can add little more water for more curry.
Mix well and cook the curry.
Now heat 2 cups of water in another pan.
Add chopped cubes of paneer in this warm water for 2 minutes.
Simmer the curry for 3-4 minutes.
Now add the boiled peas in the curry.
Now add the paneer cubes in it.
Mix and cook another 1 minute.
Now switch off the flame and serve hot with chapatti or rice.
- Main Course