- South Indian
RICE UPMA RECIPE
Preparation time -10 minutes
Cooking time -20 minutes
Cuisine –South Indian
Main ingredient –rice
A step by step recipe of rice upma –rice upma is one of the simple and easy to make breakfast. It can be cooked with toor dal or chana dal. I have used chana dal in my tadka. I have also used dried mango powder to give a tangy taste to my upma.
Upma is a nice and easy to make dish of semolina but we are making this dish here with boiled rice.
I have used broken rice here. Actually it is a leftover recipe of mine, where I have used leftover boiled rice. But if you don’t have leftover boiled rice then you can use fresh rice too.
I made a paste of spices here to cook the spices nicely and evenly. But you can also add them in powdered form also and then you can add little water into the pan.
You can also check out my recipe of rava upma.
Ingredients for rice upma –
- Boiled rice -2 cups
- Chopped onions -1/2 cup
- Chopped tomatoes -1/2 cup
- Chopped green chilies -1 tbsp
- Grated ginger -1/2 tsp
Ingredients for tempering –
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Black mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Curry leaves -5-6 chopped
- Pea nuts -1 tbsp
- Chana dal -1 tsp
Ingredients to make masala paste –
- Red chili powder -1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder -1 tsp
- Dried mango powder -1 tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make rice upma? –
- Heat oil in a pan and temper it with tempering ingredients.
- When they splutter add grated ginger and chilies in it.
- Sauté well and add chopped onions into it.
- Sauté well until translucent.
- Add tomatoes into it.
- Mix and cook well.
- Now make a paste of red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder and salt with the help of water in a bowl.
- Add this paste into the pan.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add little water into it and cook well.
- Now add the boiled rice into it and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix well and cook.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with onion raita or vegetable raita.
Step by step recipe with pictures –
Heat a pan.
And oil into it.
And temper it with cumin and black mustard seeds into it.
Now add the curry leaves into it.
Now add the chana dal into it.
Add the pea nuts and sauté.
Now add the green chilies into it and sauté for a second.
Now add the grated ginger into the pan.
And add chopped onions into it.
Mix well and cook.
Sauté well until translucent.
Add tomatoes into it.
Mix and cook well.
Now take red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder in a bowl.
And make a paste of it with water.
Also add salt to it.
Add this paste into the pan.
Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add little water into it
And cook well.
Now add the boiled rice into it.
And mix well.
Add ½ cup of water.
And mix well and cook.
Switch off the flame and serve hot with onion raita or vegetable raita.
- South Indian