- Side dish
- Main Course
BAINGAN BHARTA RECIPE
Preparation time -10-15 minutes
Cooking time -10 minutes
Main ingredients –brinjal, onion and tomatoes
Step by step recipe of baingan bharta –a delicious and easy to make recipe of brinjal/eggplant, which is spiced up with onions, tomatoes, green chili, ginger, garlic and a blend of Indian spices.
And the most and important part of this baingan bharta is that, it has an aroma of flames or the feel of wood fire in it.
Because here the brinjal is cooked on the bare flames of gas stove, then it is peeled and chopped nicely just like mashing it.
Then it is cooked with other ingredients like onions, tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, garlic and dry powdered spices.
In this recipe I have used mustard oil for tempting because mustard oil taste very good in such kind of recipes.
Baingan bharta is my all time favorite. I love baingan bharta with daal fry and naan. And it goes very well with chapattis.
You can also check out my other recipes of brinjal such as, achari baingan and bharwa baingan.
Ingredients for baingan bharta –
- Brinjal/eggplant/baingan -2 medium
- Chopped onions -1/2 cup
- Chopped tomatoes -1/2 cup
- Green chilies -2 tbsp
- Chopped garlic -1 tbsp
- Grated ginger -1 tsp
- Red chili powder -1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder -1 tsp
- Mustard oil -1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make baingan bharta –
- Take the brinjal and wash them properly.
- Now put it on bare flames to be cooked.
- Cook it properly from each side.
- Remove from the flames and allow it to be slightly cool down.
- Now peel the brinjal and mash it. And keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté.
- Now add the chopped garlic, grated ginger and green chilies into it.
- Sauté for 2 minutes and add tomatoes into the pan.
- Now mix well and add the powdered spices into it such as, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and cook until the oil comes up.
- Add the mashed brinjal into it. Also sprinkle some salt.
- Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with dal and chapatti.
Step by step recipe with pictures –
Take the brinjal and wash them properly.
Pat dry with a cloth.
Now put it on bare flames to be cooked.
Cook it properly from each side.
Remove from the flames and allow it to be slightly cool down.
Now peel the brinjal.
peel it nicely to remove the skin properly.
And mash it. Here I have chopped it with a knife first and then mashed it.
And keep aside. You can see the picture of mashed brinjal too.
now gather the other chopped and grated ingredients for yuor convenience.
Now heat the oil in a pan.
Since we are using mustard oil here, we have to be very careful about its cooking. It should be cook well otherwise there will be a raw smell of mustard oil in your dish. You can see the difference between the cooked oil and uncooked oil. the color of the oil is changed after cooking.
And temper it with cumin seeds.
Add chopped onions to the pan.
Now add the chopped garlic, grated ginger and green chilies into it.
Sauté for 2 minutes.
Cook until the onions are translucent.
And add tomatoes into the pan.
Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
Now mix well and add the powdered spices into it such as, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
Mix well and cook until the oil comes up.
Add the mashed brinjal into it.
Also sprinkle some salt.
Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with dal and chapatti.
- Side dish
- Main Course