- Main Course
Preparation time -20 minutes
Cooking time -15 minutes
Cuisine –South Indian
CHITRANA RECIPE –boiled rice cooked with onion and ground nuts with a special masala of roasted fenugreek and cumin seeds.
Chitrana is one of the easiest and fastest rice dishes to make. It is tasty and can be consumed as a breakfast or light evening food. Further, the chitranna recipe requires only the ingredients used in everyday cooking.
Chitrana is a type of fried rice mostly prepared in South part of India.
It’s a quick and tasty way to finish leftover rice and makes a perfect breakfast.
This is one of my favorite rice, I have first tasted it with friend who brought it in her lunch box when I was in second puc in Bangalore.
As being a Bangaluru person I enjoyed a variety of food there (I have been leaved there for about 10 years, now after marriage I am living in Jaipur). And now I can make very tasty south Indian food, at my home everyone loves south Indian food prepared by me, specially my husband.
This recipe of Chitrana I got from my neighbor aunty, she used to make this Chitrana with batani(green peas) on their festival along with vada and obatt which is a chapatti stuffed with jaggery.
So after this blah blah we should proceed to the recipe -
Ingredients for Chitrana –
- Boiled rice -2 cups
- Chopped onion -1/2 cup
- Crushed ground nuts -2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder -1 tsp
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds -1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice -2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
To temper –
1. Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
2. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
3. Urad dal - 1 tsp
4. Chana dal - 2 tsp
5. Curry leaves – few
6. whole red chili -2
Method to prepare Chitrana –
- Roast the fenugreek and cumin seeds in a pan, powder them and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper it with mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and whole dried red chilies.
- Now add ground nuts and onion and sauté till the onion gets translucent.
- Now add the powdered fenugreek and cumin seed.
- Now add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now add the boiled rice, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with veg raita or coconut chutney.
- Main Course