Preparation time -2 hrs
Cooking time -20 minute
How to make chakli –a step by step recipe of rice flour chaklis.
chakli is a deep fried snack made from rice flour, gram flour, wheat flour or a mixture of lentil flours. they are also known as murukku in south.
You will need a chakli maker to prepare these chaklis. Chakli - A queen of all Diwali delicacies!! I think its hardly to find anybody who doesn't like Chakali. Very crispy and savoury snack prepared all over India during Diwali time.
Chaklis are of various kinds. Chaklis are made from Rice, Wheat, Ragi etc. You also get readymade chaklis , readymade chakli atta in the market. But the dough made for Chakli Recipe is made absolutely at home.
This tempting south indian version of chakli is made using rice flour and urad dal flour enhanced with sesame seeds and cumin seeds.
My love for chakli is from my Bangalore stay, I used to have chakli for my lunch box along with my lunch and we all friends used to have chakli during the classes.
But now after marriage I used to make it for my family, specially for my husband he just love these chaklis.
Ingredients for chakli –
- Split and husked black gram -150 gms
- Rice -150 gms
- Oil for dough -1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Kalongi/nigella -1 tsp
- Sesame seeds -1 tsp
- Red chili powder -1 tsp or as par your taste
Method for preparing chakli –
- Mix rice and urad dal and rinse them thoroughly.
- Now spread them on a cloth or paper and let them dry completely. (dry them in sun light, it will faster and nicely.)
- Then grind to a powder.
- Now mix all the ingredients except oil.
- Now heat the oil, which we are using for dough and add it to the rice mixture.
- Now make a dough with the help of slightly hot water.
- Use the chakli press and make circles of desired diameter in hot oil. Deep fry on medium heat.
- When they turn light brown, drain out the excess oil.
- Serve hot or cold with tea. Store chakli in air tight container.
Step by step recipe
Mix rice and urad dal rinse them and dry them in sun light.
Then grind to a powder and sieve it.
Now mix all the ingredients except oil.
Now heat the oil, which we are using for dough and add it to the rice mixture.
Now make a dough with the help of slightly hot water.
Use the chakli press and make circles of desired diameter.
Deep fry on medium heat.
When they turn light brown, drain out the excess oil. Serve hot or cold with tea. Store chakli in air tight container.